An Wato Guinea, Det!

So we're doing it- heading back to Guinea. Stay tuned for details of our journey back to a place we love.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Reunion

It's been killing me to not be in contact with all of you this past month! Matt and I were thinking of all of you during the holidays and are sending you our best wishes for 2008. This past month we've been in Kerouane where there is not yet internet access.

I know a lot of you have been waiting for news of the reunion with my Guinean family. I'm thrilled to give you all an update. It seems so silly now that I wasted time worrying about whether or not people would remember me. The reunion itself was one of the most powerful experiences I've ever had. As Matt and I wondered around the town looking for the family's house (they had moved from the place where I had lived with them) all of sudden we heard screaming and suddenly people were running toward us. Bijou, Yi Assiatou, Papice and Max- my host brothers and sisters- grabbed ahold of us and wouldn't let go. Max (now 5 years old) actually knocked the wind out of Matt with the force of his running hug. The kids were taller and older but I would have known them anywhere. They were crying and behind them was my Guinean mom and best friend here, Domanine Kaba. She was sobbing. I was crying too. When I let go of Domanine I saw the 50 to 100 neighbor kids who were gathered around us. Domanine, Mr. Kaba, Matt and I sat on chairs facing the crowd. Max jumped up on my lap. In the true Madingo fashion where everyone's business is everyone else's business, we had our first conversation in over 5 years in front of the whole neighborhood. It really was one of the most joyous moments I have ever experienced. I thought my heart was going to explode.

A quick word about Max. He was a baby when I left. I really didn't expect him to know me. I was even preparing myself for him being scared of me (as some kids are of white people). Not Max. His family talked to him about me all the time. He had seen the photos of me with the family and with him on my back. As soon as he could talk fluently he told his friends that I was going to come back for him. The day I arrived he looked into the crowd at his friends with such a satisfied smile "I told you so" it seemed to say.

The month we spent with the family went fast. Too fast. I had wondered if I had built up how great these people were over the years. Not a chance. We started right where we left off and it was clear to me that, if anything, I hadn't realized how truly amazing they were before. It was hard to leave. Everyone but Max understood that we're coming back in a few months. He was devestated that we weren't taking him with us. It wasn't because we didn't want to.

There's so much more I'd like to share about the month we spent in Kerouane but I don't have access to the internet much longer. I want to make sure I get this sent off before I lose the connection. Tomorrow we're headed to the village where Matt lived. We're really excited to see his host mom, Nene Delanda. When Matt left in 2002 she lived alone. We can't wait to surprise her with a visit.

As soon as I have access to the internet again I'll write more. Thanks for all your well wishes. We think about you all the time and hope to be able to have more regular contact.

Happy New Year!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie and Matt,
So thrilled your reunion was wonderful. Have a great time in Labe and keep being safe and healthy. Love and miss you both.
Love,
Tulip

Unknown said...

That's what I am talking about!!

we are so happy for you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

I could feel the power of the reunion as I read your post!! Amazing ...just like you guys. So happy for you guys and cant wait to hear more. Love you and miss you two everyday!!!
Brent

Jonathan WC said...

Good for you guys! Glad things are going well. Can't wait to read Smatt's article in Knucklebones.

Anonymous said...

We had been checking the blog almost daily. Finally, today we found your latest comments. It sounds just wonderful. Just like it always is when you see old friends. Love you and we are happy for you.
Nolan and Esther

Anonymous said...

Hey Hey. SWhat a beautifull day that must have been. It sounds wonderfull and I am so happy things are going even better than planned. Keep kicking butt guys. Stay strong and healthy we love you and miss you faces.
Juls

Slartibartfast said...

Wow, what a neat adventure you guys are having! Enjoyed the last post especially - great way to start a day :) Thanks for posting, and happy new years! -Skittles-

Anonymous said...

Matt and Annie,

It's so great to hear that everything is going so great! The Eck-Miller clan misses you guys greatly! Can't wait to hear what's next!

JSBO

Lauren said...

Hey You Two! So happy to hear about the reunion, and glad to hear you are doing well. I miss you both and can't wait to hear more.

Love,
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie & Matt,
Greetings from Birds Landing! Thinking of you ....enjoyed your blog very much. Keep safe. We miss you and love you.